How to lose weight fast | Diet plan, Procedures
Explore this Article
Risks of Overweight
Different ways of loss weight
Weight loss for men
Weight loss for women
Losing weight during pregnancy
Weight loss for different age groups (Teen, Baby)
Weight loss (different parts of the body)
Potential causes of inadvertent weight loss
Key global information
Popular questions and answers
Tips for lose weight
1) Weight loss – An overview
In fact, the prime objective behind lose weight fast (and conversely weight gain) is the same- which is to attain an ideal weight to lead a healthy, active and disease free life. The implication is that, in order to attain an ideal weight, shedding excess body weight is essential in case of those who are obese and overweight.
Additionally, weight loss should be as fast as possible for those who are obese or severely obese. (By the same logic, a healthy weight gain is needed for those who are underweight. Because, health complications arrive for both the extremes, be it overweight or underweight. But still the fact remains that health complications on account of overweight and obesity are more dangerous. Over and above, health problems pertaining to overweight and obesity are more common as compared to underweight).
The need for lose weight is at present greatly felt all over the world. In this connection it needs to be mentioned that the Australian Institute of Health and Statistics expressed a grave concern (over the existing global health problem pertaining to rising overweight and obesity).
Globally, 70.8% of men and 56.3% among women are now obese. Reportedly, 3.4 million people died all over the world in 2010 only on account of overweight and obesity.
To measure an ideal and healthy weight, researchers commonly use a scale known as BMI (Body Mass Index = W/H2. Where W= weight in kg. And H2= square of height in meters). BMI fairly provides a good indicator to quantify body fitness.
For instance, with height 1.7 meters
- An ideal weight is indicated by BMI (20- 25)
- An Overweight is indicated by BMI (25-30)
- An Obese is indicated by BMI (30-39)
- A severely obese is indicated by BMI (40 and higher)
- An underweight is indicated by BMI (5 and below)
Weight loss, is therefore defined as decrease in body weight (relative to height) which
Can be attained by shedding mainly excess fat deposit/ excess fluid/ and excess water weight.
Conclusively, any significant deviation from BMI (20-25 indicating an ideal weight), will invite inevitable health risks.
2) Health risks of overweight and obesity
The need for weight loss becomes incumbent in view of serious health risks and hazards that arrive later on, (if the problem of obesity and overweight is not effectively controlled at the earliest).
The major health risks and complications that need to be prevented (through suitable weight loss measures) are stated below.
2.1) Heart disease and high blood pressure
Overweight and obesity increase blood pressure. And again, high blood pressure is a leading cause of stroke/ shocks/ heart complications.
Research studies reveal the fact that about 90% of people living with diabetes are overweight and obese. Because, obesity puts additional pressure on the body’s ability to properly use insulin (in order to control blood sugar levels). And the condition is more likely to develop diabetes.
Consistent evidence is there that increased risks of various types of cancer follow in the wake of overweight and obesity (according to various research studies).
Over and above, obese people often have chronic low level inflammation which can overtime damage DNA leading to cancer. (DNA i.e. ‘Deoxyribonucleic acid’ is a hereditary material in humans and other organisms).
It occurs mostly among the obese people when cartilage (forming small tissues of the skeleton and providing cushion for the bones) wears away. The disease usually affects spine/ knees/ hips/ hands with pain and stiffness.
2.5) Gall bladder disease
Overweight and obesity also affect gall bladder function. Excess body weight impairs the gall bladder to function properly thus increasing the risk of gall bladder diseases.
Obesity causes the mechanical changes in the body leading to more abdominal fat in the lungs. Thus obesity could be a risk factor for asthma. Again, asthma could also trigger obesity on account of decrease in physical activity However; mounting evidence suggests that obesity precedes asthma. And the correlation between the two is highly significant. 
2.7) Breathing problem
Being overweight and obese can affect lungs physiology. Such patients have reduced lungs volume and elasticity (due to narrowing of peripheral airways). This can interrupt normal breathing process. More fat (on account of overweight and obesity) can compress the lungs and infiltrate into lungs tissue decreasing the diameter of airways. Such changes can limit airflow causing dyspepsia (difficulty in breathing)
2.8) Sleep apnea
The patient having the health problem stops breathing for a while during sleep. Among the adults the most common cause of sleep apnea is overweight and obesity (which is linked with soft tissue of the mouth and the throat).
This is why to cure sleep apnea one has to either lose weight or undergo surgery (to remove excess tissue from the throat). But surgery is risky. In addition, it has side effects. This is why weight loss is preferred and surgery is accepted only as the last resort.
3) Procedures for effective implementation of weight loss plan
The doctor and the physical instructor play a key role to make the weight loss plan a success. The need for a physician as well as a physical instructor (to support lose weight) is separately discussed.
3.1) Need to meet the doctor
Attaining a healthy ideal weight (by losing weight fast) is desired by everyone among the overweight and obese. But still after strictly following all the health rules (to support lose weight, such as physical workout and dietary plan), often it becomes quite hard to lose weight due to prevalence of some health problems. As such, it is absolutely important to meet he doctor (who will best advise what to do and what not to do under he existing medical conditions).
The underlying medical conditions that prevent one from losing weight are listed below.
It is a condition of low or underactive thyroid. And it is a thyroid disorder in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormones. It can invite a lot of symptoms- most remarkable is weight gain (other symptoms include: poor ability to tolerate cold/ depression/ tiredness/ constipation).  
3.1.2) Cushing’s syndrome
It occurs when the body is exposed to high level of hormone cortisol for a long time (cortisol is a steroid hormone). It can result from using medications that causes high level of cortisol in the body.
3.1.3) PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome)
It is a hormonal disorder that can cause irregular periods and unwanted hair growth. Important treatment procedure includes healthy nutritious foods in addition to physical exercise.
3.1.4) Hormonal changes in women
Hormonal changes in women are more common during puberty/pregnancy / menstruation. However, many hormonal changes are caused by external factors (such as, stress or hormonal medications)
3.2) Need for a personal trainer to lose weight
To effectively implement weight loss program, one in fact needs to abide by the health rules (pertaining to physical exercise at right time and of right intensity). Additionally, healthy nutritious diets and medications need to be taken ( as prescribed by the doctor).
Veritably, the right implementation of the weight loss program is the key. In such case, the role and instruction of a personal trainer also come into play. The role (played by an experienced qualified trainer) can considerably help achieve weight loss goal in the following ways.
3.2.1) Ignorance about exercise rule
Ignorance and poor execution of exercise rules are prime causes of physical injury (during exercise). A knowledgeable and well experienced personal trainer can help a lot to improve exercise skills and its proper applications (such that risk of injury is minimized and the benefits of weight loss are maximized).
3.2.2) Opportunity of guidance and motivation
As people grow old (while moving along the age path), it becomes harder to stay motivated towards physical exercise. So availability of help and guidance from the physical trainer can motivate one to go on with physical activity (at the right time/ in the right direction and of right intensity depending on age/ gender/ health complications)
3.2.3) Creating accountability feelings
The physical trainer is there to remind the time and duration of physical activity (so there can be no excuse to delay or postpone or totally stop the physical activity on flimsy grounds).
3.2.4) Varieties of exercise options
Trainers are professionals who are well versed in making changes in the physical activity as well as the intensity (depending on seasonal variations, availability of time / changes in health conditions on account of aging, disease or injury).
3.2.5) Maximum output
An expert trainer will show the way about how to derive maximum benefit/ result by utilizing minimum possible time and resources (in order to reap both the short term and long term goals of physical workouts).
3.2.6) An experienced trainer is a great asset
An experienced trainer has a developed network of personal and official relationships with other specialists (nutritionists/ doctors/ surgical specialists). As such, the trainer can instantly refer to the right specialist for any non exercise health needs.
5) Different ways of loss weight
There are verities of weight loss procedures and options. However, right choice depends on age/ gender/health problems/ BMI level/ type of profession (for instance, a farmer or a labor employed in a factory/ construction work is in an advantageous position to burn more calories daily that help achieve weight loss goal as compared to a person who is sitting at desk in the office, and hence has the least opportunity to move).
Additionally, if there is any other health problem ( besides obesity), it is wise to talk to the doctor performing physical workout under a trainer.
4.1) Lose a Pound a Day
Everyone (particularly severely obese person with BMI= 40 and higher), needs to lose weight at the fastest possible speed (for instance, to lose 1 pound a day). It is however, possible to attain such weight loss goal. But still, safe weight loss is more important than fast weight loss.
As per simple health rule, one needs to burn more calories (than consumed) for weight loss. The larger the calorie deficit (excess of daily calorie burning over daily calorie intake), the faster will be the speed of weight loss.
4.1.1) Weight loss diets
Foods and drinks selected should invariably contain less calorie, but more nutrients ( to support lose weight), .
The right foods selected include: lima beans/ corn/ asparagus/ black bean/nutritional yeast/ spinach/ hemp seed/ white bean /sun dried tomato/ chick peas/chia seeds / potato /salmon/almonds /rye berries/ quinoa/ buck wheat/ guava.
Additionally, one needs to follow some more health rules ( in order to lose weight fast). After getting up from bed one needs to drink lemon juice mixed with water in empty stomach. It will boost one’s metabolism and speed up weight loss (Metabolism is a biochemical process in our body that allows us to grow/ reproduce/repair the damage in order to lead a nice environmental friendly life ).
Over and above, drinking sufficient water before meal will support weight loss. (it will make one to stay hydrated and feel full and in consequence, less hungry).
Green tea is another drink that supports lose weight. It is rich in nutrient, but poor in calorie. Ginger is also a weight loss supporting food item. It is good to put some ginger in the tea.
Dinner should be light at night (as there is neither physical activity nor domestic or job responsibilities to perform, excepting going to bed after night meal to have a nice sleep until the dawn).
4.1.2) Physical activity for lose weight
Simply, diet plan will not be enough to speed up weight loss without physical activity. A regular exercise of moderate or vigorous intensity (using instruments) is essential. All types of physical activities should be performed early in the morning in the open fresh air.
In order to make the lose weight faster, it is also important to add outdoor games in the evening (for about an hour before sunset, such as football/ basket ball/ volley ball/cricket/ hockey/ running/swimming etc)
Other physical activities of vigorous intensity include: climbing the hill/ high jump/ long jump/ marathon race.
Apart from supporting lose weight fast, physical fitness is also indispensable during emergency (in time of outbreak of accidental fire/ cyclone followed by tidal waves in the coastal areas where one needs to run at the highest possible speed in order to climb to a safe spot lying at a much higher level).
Conclusively, the faster will be lose weight if more calorie deficits occur (by burning more calories than consuming. It is possible by two pronged attack- eating calorie poor, but nutrient rich diets. Secondly, performing physical activity of vigorous intensity both in the morning as well as in the evening)
4.2) How to lose weight fast at home
It is an inborn human instinct to gain the most and spend the least (in terms of time/ money/ effort). Home is the sweetest abode where anything and everything can be done at ease and without any binding or restriction.
There are some who have severe obesity and have the least time to spend in physical workout. For them, home is the best place to perform physical activity (that involves no cost in terms of conveyance or time, as needed for regularly going to and coming back from park/ play ground/ gymnasium).
Over and above, physical activity at home is not affected by bad inclement weather or heavy rainfall.
In fact, severely obese people, (particularly pregnant women), feel shy and embarrassed to get exposed to the public (to perform physical activity with tight exercise dress). For them, home is the best place to freely perform physical activity of any type and at any time.
Conclusively, there are many who have to regularly look after and take care of their aged parents as well as the small babies. Their presence at home is indispensable. Hence home is the best place to perform the physical activity without any tension and anxiety.
4.3) How to lose weight with exercise
Among the 2 Es that are needed to lead a healthy/ active /disease free life, one is Exercise (The other is Eating healthy foods and drinks). But there is also a 3rd E (Excess). if ‘excess’ occurs, then instead of causing health benefit, it will cause injury and harm to health (for instance, excessive or over eating and over exercise are harmful, just as excess of anything is bad).
Physical exercise should be regular. Before starting a physical activity under a trainer, one needs to consult a doctor (regarding the duration, type and intensity of the workout. Because, the procedure to a large extent depends on age/gender/health structure: such as, body size /shape / height /weight)/ specific health problem of the person). .
Physical activity should be performed early in the morning in the fresh open air (preferably, before sunrise). Playground/ amusement park/riverside/sea beach are the suitable places to well perform the physical activities.
However, during bad inclement weather, physical exercise can easily be performed at home.
The benefits of physical exercises are many. Apart from supporting lose weight, it improves and sustains physical fitness (which is often considered as essential criteria for recruitment in public services: police/army/civil defense).
Further, physical fitness is indispensable to become an efficient professional athlete (such as, boxer /wrestler /runner /swimmer /footballer/ cricketer).
For supporting weight loss, major exercises include:
HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training that consists of repetitive short burst s of exercises performed at high level of intensity)/ weight lifting (it is very effective to build muscles/burn calories /shed excess fat) / intense boot camp workout (it includes a fairly intense mix of strength training and aerobic elements)/ boxing (it involves total body movement to hit the targeted areas of the rival heavily/speedily/accurately)/ swimming (it is a full body exercise in which major body muscles are utilized.
The workout is a fun to the children/ sport to the young/cure for the obese/ income for the professionals/ hobby to many)/ running (speedy and long distance running will help attain weight loss within the fastest possible time)/ yoga (it involves a balance and stability to promote mental health and functional strength)/ jump rope exercise (it is not only an exercise to lose weight, but also an interesting game to the children).
Conclusively, the more intense the workout is, and the longer the duration of physical workout is, the faster will be the weight loss goal.
However, since everyone in this world is born with separate parameter (pertaining to environment/ geographical location/ climatic condition/ standard of living /body size/shape/height/ weight/health condition/access to basic human needs such as food, shelter, health, education etc), it is therefore, important to consult a doctor before starting the workout.
4.4) How to lose weight without exercise
Obesity has become a greater problem than ever before (especially after the invention/ automation / mechanization in the wake of industrial revolution during the 16th century). This has completely replaced manual labor and in consequence, totally set aside the health benefits (by causing the least body movement inviting health hazards)
There are many who feel pleased to lead an idle sedentary life. They feel reluctant to perform physical workouts even at home (still after having enough time to spare). In consequence, they invite inevitable health problems (like overweight and obesity and other related health complications at an early age).
More calories can be burned to achieve lose weight through adequate training and motivation (for the people having no physical workout or activity). Daily performance of home and job responsibilities (in a proper and healthy way will be enough to lose weight fast).
The following rules need to be followed meticulously.
- Climbing up and down the stairs (in stead of using escalators/elevators) greatly supports weight loss (in addition to promoting leg strength).
- Usually, the office (to perform daily job responsibilities) or the market (to purchase daily foods/ vegetables/ groceries) lies within walking distance (maximum 2 km from residence). As such, it is healthy to walk daily 30-40 minutes (in stead of availing transport facilities). It will promote weight loss (as well as save transport cost).
- Washing cloths at home with own hands (in stead of using washing machine or getting it done in the laundry outside) will greatly help lose weight (and strengthen muscles).
- It is better to perform bath in the nearest pond/ river/sea (if located within the walking distance from the residence. It will burn more calories than bath at home). Additionally, it will give double bonus (weight loss through walking and swimming).
- Some jobs can be done more effectively by manual labor (such as, picking fruits/ flowers/ vegetables by using hands. Because applying mechanical device will fail to comb out the rotten or damaged agricultural products). Such manual labor will support weight loss.
- Weight loss goal can easily be attained by accompanying the kids by walking (while going to and coming back from school lying within the walking distance from the residence).
- Everyone of us has hobbies of some kind or other. (Any hobby, to a large extent is influenced by age/ gender/ physical fitness/ financial ability/ environmental factors/ geographical location/ climatic condition/ more importantly, social custom and religious bindings).
Hobbies should be developed that include physical activity and support weight loss (for instance, playing football, volley ball, basket ball, cricket/ running/ swimming/ cycling preferably, in a group with friends or family members. Because, partnership will help develop regularity/ punctuality/ interest/ cooperation/ competition which are essential for good performance).
to attain weight loss goal (with or without exercise), one must stick to a healthy life style (by consuming healthy foods and drinks of right amount at the right time and additionally, enjoying a quality sleep free of stress and anxieties).
4.5) Weight loss food plan
A plan is a present course of actions well thought and properly designed (to gain some sustainable benefits in future). And one of such plans is ‘healthy dietary plan’ (This can be implemented through choosing right combination of foods/fruits/ drinks under the doctor’s advice to attain weight loss goal in future).
Healthy food plan suggests fewer calories, but more nutrients (calorie is used to measure the energy value of food which the body needs to function. Our body stores and burns calories as fuel. And nutrient is a substance used by an organism to grow/ survive/ reproduce. Dietary nutrient is essential for all plants and animals including human being).
The weight loss supporting food list (as per daily time schedule) is given below.
- Morning breakfast (egg white/ whole grain bagel/ oatmeal/vegetable soups/ fresh low calorie fruits, such as watermelon/ tea or coffee without sugar and milk )
- Mid morning snacks (veggies/ tomatoes/ pea nut/ few watery fruits like water melon, grapes, berries to make stomach full).
- Lunch (brown rice/ whole grain bread/ chicken breast and tuna fish cooked without oil/ mixed green vegetables /lettuce green / other vegetables like cucumber ,cabbage, tomato, potato, carrot/ salad/ a few watery fruits, such as pine apple)
- Afternoon snacks (non-fat plain yogurt without sugar/ air popped popcorn/ fruits like apple, berries , pear which will greatly improve satiety and add less calories)
- Dinner (brown rice/ whole wheat/ chicken breast and salmon fish without adding any salt or oil/ baked potatoes/ steamed fresh vegetables/ fat and sugar free yogurt/ desserts with frozen straw berries)
- The frequency of meals taken daily may be extended to 6 times or more (such as, at 6 AM/ 9 AM/ 12 AM/ 3 PM/ 6 PM/9 PM) depending on need (that varies with age/ gender and other factors. For instance, in case of pregnant women, the dietary requirement pertaining to quality/quantity/ frequency/ timing need to be strictly followed as per advice of the doctor).
- b) Every meal must be of small quantity having less calories, but more nutrients.
- c) There is no hard and first rule to eat a particular food during a particular time. The selection of food items should be such that fewer calories, but more nutrients are eaten (to support weight loss goal).
- d) Distribution of verities of food items should be such that daily calorie intake should not exceed 2000 (in case of adult male) and 1600 (in case of adult female).
4.6) Very low calorie diet for lose weight
Low calorie diet does not mean poor quality food (or foods low in vitamins and nutrients). It is essential to consume foods low in calories, but rich in vitamins and nutrients to support weight loss goal (in addition to leading a disease free life).
The health benefits of nutrients and vitamins are many including prevention and treatment of various diseases.
Calories are units of energies contained in various types of foods (protein/carb/ fat). It is a biological process in humans to burn calories in order to remain healthy and fit.
When one takes more calories than needed, then excess calories boost up obesity. And as such, it becomes essential to shed excess body weight to keep the body fit. One of the ways (to keep the body fit through weight loss) is to consume very low calorie diet. The list containing a few low calorie foods are described below.
4.6.1) Food calorie chart
4.6.2) Vegetable calorie chart
4.6.3) Fruit list calorie content
18.104.22.168) Plum (it is anti oxidant) 30 (per plum)
22.214.171.124) Grape fruit (rich in Vit- C) 37 (per ½ grape fruit)
126.96.36.199) Strawberries (rich in Vit- C) 49 (per cup)
188.8.131.52) Honeydew melon (rich in potassium and Vit- C) 61 (per cup)
184.108.40.206) Black berries (rich in fiber) 62 (per cup)
4.7) Lose weight without diet and physical exercise
There are many who are suffering from severe obesity and risking serious health complications (such as high blood pressure/diabetes/ heart disease etc). Additionally, they are reluctant (or have no time to spend) in physical workout. Over and above, they don’t bother to follow a healthy life style.
For such obese people (with a sedentary life style), medical researchers have come up with new invention “ ACV“(Apple Cedar Vinegar). This is appetite suppressor and as such, plays a key role to support weight loss (through shedding excess body fat).
Additionally, one needs to enjoy a quality sleep (for about 8 hours). Because, a quality sleep is essential to keep the body fit and energetic. It is also important to drink a glass of pure water well before every meal. It will help one to stay hydrated, feel full and less hungry so as to attain weight loss.
4.8) Lose water weight
4.8.1) What is water weight
In order to sustain life on earth for the 3 creations (man/animal/plants), 3 basic needs are indispensable. Water is one of them (the other two are: air and food)
Billions of cells in human body feed on water. The water content in human organs is plenty (water content is 73% in brain and heart/ 83% in lungs/ 80% in kidney/ 92% in blood). Therefore, water plays a key role in the function of all human organs.
Veritably, all essential elements in human body should lie within safe normal limits (for proper and efficient function of the human organs). When the safe limit is exceeded in case of water content in human body, then inevitably, the disease Edema occurs (excessive water). It then becomes a medical emergency to reduce water weight (through suitable physical workouts/ dietary control/ medications).
In fact, overweight and obesity occurs due to excess water (in addition to excess fats/fluids deposited in the body).
4.8.2) Symptoms of excess water weight
Symptoms include excessive fluids getting trapped into the body tissues resulting in the swelling of different parts of the body – such as, hands/feet/ankles/legs.
4.8.3) Causes of water weight
Causes of water weight include: food intolerance/ poor diet/ toxin exposure/ cirrhosis/ heart disease/ kidney failure.
Women also experience water weight during menstrual cycle and during or before pregnancy.
Among other causes, medications (such as, steroids/ birth control pills /blood pressure drugs/ anti depressants) may also result in water weight.
4.8.4) Health complications of water weight
Possible health complications (in the wake of water weight) include: breathing problem (due to build up of fluids in the lungs or abdomen) and chest pain attended with discomforts.
4.8.5) Remedial measures
- Rest: A sound quality sleep is needed to regulate sodium and water balance. In fact, when one sleeps, the toxins in the brain are flushed out.. For an adult, sleeping for 7- 9 hours is essential.
- Work: An idle sedentary life is the safest door for most of the malignancies to enter mightily (particularly in old age). So, in order to remain active/fit/ disease free/ healthy, regular physical activity is indispensable.
Physical activity ensures sound sleep, increases sweating and as such, releases excess body water. During exercise, the body also shifts plenty of water into the muscles (which reduce water staying outside the cells). For flushing out excess water, morning walk is the most suitable exercise.
- Food: Veritably, sodium is an essential mineral for human health. An adult with good health needs to consume daily 1 teaspoonful salt.
But those having excess water weight (in addition to high blood pressure), should consume the least salt, preferably salt free diet. On the contrary, they should consume more magnesium (Magnesium is also essential for proper function of the nervous and cardiovascular systems. Good sources of magnesium are: nuts/ whole grain/ leafy green vegetables).
They need to consume mere vitamins/minerals / nutrients (to fight excessive water weight). These include potassium/ Vitamin B-6 /Electrolyte. (Potassium is an essential nutrient to reduce water retention in women having pre-menstrual symptoms. it regulates fluids and mineral balance. Potassium rich foods include: banana/tomato.
Vitamin B-6 is essential to reduce water retention. Foods rich in vitamin- B-6 include banana/ potato/ walnut.
Electrolyte is an important mineral to maintain water balance. Too low or too high electrolyte may lead to unhealthy shift in fluid balance which is dangerous. Foods having electrolytes include: green leafy vegetables/ water cress).
- Drinks: Tea/ coffee (1-2 cups daily) may be taken to reduce water weight. However, pure plain water is the best of all drinks which should be taken especially after physical workout. At the same time soft drinks as well as alcohol should be totally stopped.
- Medications to reduce water weight: Some water pills are also prescribed for treatment of water retention (in addition to foods and drinks). They work by activating the kidneys to flush out excess water.
Additionally, water pills prevent fluid build up and reduce swelling. However, it is safe to consult a doctor before medication. (Because, excessive medication, far from mitigating, may aggravate the problem).
4.9) Weight loss by medication
Simply dietary changes and exercise may not be enough to support overall weight loss plan. Additionally, biologically based treatment may be needed.
Commonly prescribed weight loss medications include: Oristat (Xenical)/ Lorcaserin (Beluq)/ Phantermine /Topiramate /Qsymia/ Bupiroprion/ Naltrexone (Contrave) / Liraglutide (Saxenda).
Conclusively, close medical monitoring is needed while following prescriptions pertaining to weight loss medications. Most medications are used for suppressing appetite.
4.10) Weight loss by surgery
For effective weight loss, surgery is the only option when medication fails. In a restrictive surgical method, a surgeon uses a variety of techniques (to reduce the stomach size). After the restrictive surgery is performed, the patient will feel, as if the stomach is full and hence will eat less.
There are 3 types of restrictive surgery applied for lose weight.
- LAGB (Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding)
It is a surgical procedure to support lose weight. The surgeon places a band around the upper part of the stomach (to create a small pouch or small bag to hold food).
The band limits the amount of food taken by the patient (such that even after taking small amount of food, the patient feels full).
- VBG (Vertical Banded Gastroplasty)
The procedure is also known as stomach stapling. It is a form of Bariatric surgery (The surgery includes a variety of procedures performed in people who have obesity. Weight loss is attained by reducing the stomach size with a gastric band/ or through removal of a portion of stomach/ or by resecting / or by rerouting the small intestine to a small intestine pouch)
- SG (Sleeve Gestrectomy)
It is a surgical weight loss procedure in which the stomach is reduced by about 15% of its original size. The surgical removal of a significant portion of stomach is performed along with a greater curvature. The result is sleeve or tube like structure.
Conclusively, one will qualify for surgical need only under the following conditions:
- a) Efforts to lose weight, both with diet and exercise, have been unsuccessful.
- b) BMI (Body Mass Index) is 40 or higher.
- c) In addition to obesity, other weight related problems exist (such as type- 1 diabetes/ high blood pressure/ severe sleep apnea).
5) Weight loss for men
Male obesity is a problem worldwide as globally, 70.8% among men are now obese, Men need physical fitness more (as compared to women) in order to perform the job responsibilities with greater skill and strength ( physical fitness with a nice proportionate body is considered essential for men in the jobs: army/ police /fire fighter.
Additionally, physical fitness for men is considered indispensable in case of the professional boxer/wrestler/ runner/swimmer/footballer/cricketer etc).
Causes of male overweight and obesity include: inherited obesity since birth/ obesity attained through maintaining an idle sedentary lifestyle ( In terms of consuming unhealthy foods and drinks in addition to lack of physical activity).
Remedial measure to fight obesity in men include as usual, consuming healthy nutritious foods in addition to regular physical activity.
Over and above, it is essential to always remain free of stress and anxiety in order to maintain a healthy weight and disease free life. (In this connection it may be mentioned that 1 person commits suicide every 40 seconds somewhere in the world most of whom are men.
The sad sliding occurs mainly due to tension and frustration resulting from business collapse/ maladjustment with business partners, office bosses and family members according to Report of the World Health Organization).
6) Weight loss for women
Various research studies reveal the fact that so far as the problem of overweight and obesity is concerned, women feel and face more social pressure than men (to look smart/ lovely/ lively through possessing an ideal weight and nice shaped body).
It is observed that the more a woman gets wealthy and educated, the more cautious and conscious she becomes to prevent her weight gain.
Cause of excess body weight in women is the same as that prevailing in case of men. Causes include: inborn obesity/unhealthy sedentary lifestyle having the least interest in physical activity, but more attraction for unhealthy foods and drinks.
The perk and pride of consuming expensive and unhealthy fast foods and beverages in the costly restaurants outside (rather than eating healthy nutritious home made foods) put them into an unhealthy condition. This inevitably invites the curse of overweight and obesity. And it runs counter to what the womenfolk in fact desire (pertaining to their health and beauty)
Remedial measures to fight obesity in women include as usual : consuming balanced diet with healthy foods and drinks/ taking regular physical activity to burn calories in order to support weight loss .
The workout will greatly help if performed in a group in the morning (well before one becomes absorbed with daily job and home responsibilities, more importantly in nursing and feeding the baby).
Group exercise is essential to create interest /joy/ enthusiasm/regularity/ punctuality.
7) Losing weight during pregnancy
7.1) Why weight loss more important for pregnant woman
Overweight and obesity is both a psychic as well as health problem to everybody irrespective of men or women.
In fact, women, (particularly pregnant women having obesity) feel more embarrassed and discomfited while attending a social get-together. Moreover, excess body weight may invite health complications (both for the pregnant mother and the incoming baby).
Veritably, pregnancy is a period of joy/pride/expectation/excitement as the pregnant woman eagerly awaits and strongly desires the arrival of a baby with a healthy weight.
So as compared to men as well as other women, a pregnant woman needs to be more alert about the evil effects of obesity (that may be harmful both for the pregnant mother as well as the unborn baby).
7.2) Causes of obesity are mostly the same irrespective of male or female/married or unmarried/ pregnant or non-pregnant women.
7.3) As regards the remedial measure, the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists stressed on the general benefits of exercises (to improve mood/ posture/ quality of sleep/ ability to cope the labor needed to perform daily domestic responsibilities in addition to losing excess weight).
For weight loss during pregnancy, most among the experts recommend the following workouts:
- Walking: Walking is the simplest and the most common of all physical workouts. And walking may be performed anywhere (for instance, along the street/ in the plain land/ play ground/ amusement park/ roof top of the residence for those who have the least time to spend).
Early morning is the best time for a healthy walk to breathe fresh air.
- Swimming: Swimming is another suitable exercise for the pregnant women. It is a full body exercise that utilizes each and every part of the body (to move in the desired direction, with desired speed and applying right amount of strength). Swimming builds strong muscles/strengthens body mass/helps attain flexibility /burn greater amount of calories (as compared to other workouts) to support weight loss fast.
- Gardening: Gardening is another suitable physical workout to fight obesity in pregnant women. Because, women in general (particularly during pregnancy period) stay more at home than outside.
Gardening involves manual labor in terms of digging/ weeding/ hoeing/ raking/ planting/ watering/plucking. Gardening 30-40 minutes a can burn daily 150- 300 calories that greatly support weight loss.
- Among the pregnant women (who feel reluctant to take physical exercise) they can well utilize their common hobbies in a group. These are physical workouts in disguise.
The hobbies include: visiting a place of historical interests/ zoo/ botanical garden/ amusement park/ river side / sea beach/ occasionally visiting annual export fair. These hobbies involve strenuous walk that support weight loss (in addition to strengthening lower part of the body).
- At every stage of pregnancy path, the pregnant woman needs to consult a physician before starting a physical workout for weight loss.
- Slight weight gain during pregnancy is quite normal as the pregnant woman has to bear the weight of 2 bodies (herself and the growing baby)
How much weight the pregnant woman is gaining, should be recorded weekly or monthly that needs to be brought to the notice of the doctor (who can best guide whether weight loss through physical exercise and/or dietary control is applicable).
- If anyone having obesity desires to get pregnant, then it is important to consult the doctor beforehand.
One should remain alert about the forbidden physical workouts that can cause sudden change in direction risking abdominal injuries (usually due to jumping/ skating/sliding/ bouncing).
During every physical workout, the pregnant woman must be alert on her movement involving speed/ strain / sudden change of direction. Because pregnancy is a transition stage in which the growing baby will give warning signal to the pregnant mother (about her health condition constantly changing in terms of displaying various symptoms until the baby is born).
Any unpalatable feeling experienced by the pregnant mother (in terms of dizziness/ discomfort/ shortness of breath) should immediately be brought to the notice of the doctor.
8) Weight loss for different age groups
8.1) How to fight old age obesity
8.1.1) Who are old?
With aging (60 years and over), people in general become less active and more obese. All health complications including obesity, arrive mightily in old age.. Veritably, aging is a great risk factor for developing any malignant disease. But still, the old people can easily lead a healthy and disease free life by remaining alert (which needs emphasizing on quality of food, rather than quantity)/emphasizing on nutrition, rather than on calorie intake).
8.1.2) Cause of old age obesity
With aging, hormonal changes occur and life style becomes slow and less active. This condition increases the risk of obesity. Over and above, amount of muscle in the body tends to decrease.
Additionally, the lower muscle mass causes decrease in metabolism. In fact, a person with slow or low metabolism, will burn fewer calories causing old age obesity. Hence, the old people need to consume less or restricted calories to avoid the risk of obesity.
8.1.3) Ways to fight old age obesity
For weight loss, old people as usual, need to put restriction on daily calorie intake (in case of old people, daily calorie limit is 2000 for men and 1600 for women).
In addition, they need to consume healthy nutritious foods/ fruits/ drinks and perform regular physical activity.
Regarding foods, the old obese people should consume more magnesium. This will help regulate blood sugar and insulin level.
Secondly,, sunbath will support weight loss of the old people (who in general, have the least physical fitness to move fast and take intense physical activity).
It is evident that during exposure to the sun, some amount of calories are burnt off (both by the natural process of metabolism as well as sweating during sun exposure).
8.2) Lose teen weight
8.2.1) Who are teens
Teens range between the ages (13 - 19 years). They are so called as their age number ends with teen (thirteen to nineteen). They are neither children (12 years and below) nor youths (20 years and above). The teens belong to a unique period full of Es (Energy/ Effort/ Eagerness/ Expectation/ Enthusiasm/ Excitement/ Erotic emotion/ Enjoyment/ Exultation / Earnest endeavor to earn academic and extra academic excellence).
There are many among the teens, especially the teen age girls, who are hyperaware about the unwanted gain in the body fats blemishing their structural and facial beauty.
8.2.2) Causes of teen obesity
Reasons behind the teen obesity are many. Some are born obese. Some become obese later on (because of sticking to unhealthy lifestyle by regularly and enthusiastically eating unhealthy foods and drinks with friends. The teens feel pleased to eat outside in the school cafeteria or nearby food stalls. And none among the parents or teachers are there to look into what they are eating and drinking).
8.2.3) Health risks of teen obesity
If teen obesity (on account of consuming unhealthy salty foods/ sugary drinks), goes on unchecked, then inevitable health complications (such as, high blood pressure/ cardio-vascular diseases/sleep apnea/ diabetes) mightily arrive one after another. This may invite early death in course of time.
8.2.4) Psychic costs of teen obesity
According to the report by the adolescence and obesity experts (the University of Minnesota), the obese teens usually, suffer from mental agony and inferiority complex. Because, they are perceived lazy, inactive, unimpressive by the society.
Over and above, the obese teens fall prey to bullying/teasing/verbal abuse/social isolation/pulling the face/ hatred cast by the school mates. More sadly, the obese teens are called by bad and ridiculous names by their class and school mates.
8.2.5) How to fight teen obesity
As a remedial measure, the parents must accompany their teen siblings in every activity concerning health development at home (such as, physical activity early in the morning much before school starts, so as to allow sufficient time for bath/breakfast/preparing school lessons).
Additionally the parents should accompany their teens in the dining table (in order to build up the habit of consuming healthy foods/fruits/drinks at the right time and of right amount).
As regards physical activity, the school can play better role than home. Physical training may be compulsory for the teen aged students as seemingly, almost every school has a physical instructor as well as a play ground.
8.3) Lose baby weight
8.3.1) Who are babies
As per customs prevailing in most of the societies, the term baby is used to denote a human from birth until 1 or 2 years. Other synonyms for baby are infant/ child etc. Again, babies are called toddlers until and unless they learn to walk having a good balance (3 years and below).
Whatsoever, the definition of the babies varies from time to time/ region to region / society to society?
8.3.2) Causes of child obesity
Some children are born obese. Again some become obese later on due to sedentary lifestyle. They find pleasure in eating whatever and whenever they get without following the health rules (either due to ignorance or lack of control by the parents over their children pertaining to what/how much/how long/where /with whom they are eating and drinking).
Additional causes include: unhealthy and expiry date- over foods and drinks purchased from the market/ superstitious belief that ‘a fatty baby means a healthy baby’/ pregnant mother having gestational diabetes.
In fact, gestational diabetes is a condition during pregnancy when blood sugar of the pregnant mother rises to a high level without having any diabetes. In consequence, it may result in the birth of a baby significantly larger than the average size. Such a condition a baby weighs more than 4 kg. Such new born obese are termed Macrosomia.
Usually, the new born obese fall prey to various health complications in the later stage of life.
8.3.3) How to fight and prevent child obesity
- Right after the baby is born, breast feeding is essential. It is both an ideal food and drink.
- It is essential to establish home environment that supports healthy eating habits among the children (such as eating fruits instead of drinking fruit juice/ eating small meals at least 6 times a day in stead of large meals 3 times daily/eat less calories , but more nutrients)
- It's also important to build up healthy habits much earlier in the childhood stage under the strict supervision of the parents (such as, going to bed before 10 pm at night so as to enjoy a quality sleep which is needed in order to rise early in the morning that allows sufficient time to take exercise in the fresh open air at least for 30 minutes before taking bath and healthy breakfast).
- It is wise to send homemade lunch to school for the children (in stead of giving them money to purchase food from school cafeteria or outside)
- Children’s park (having varieties of recreation facilities for running/ walking / sliding/jumping) is a suitable and attractive place for shaping and making a healthy baby with a healthy weight. The parents can play a key role in this regard by accompanying their children (at least once a week on holidays).
- After school break, participation in physical activity (including outdoor games and sports in the school play ground/ gymnasium under the strict guidance of physical instructor) may be made compulsory that will help inculcate the healthy habits among the children.
9) Weight loss (different parts of the body)
For successful lose weight (in order to attain a healthy and ideal weight), it is not desirable to spot attain fat loss in one particular part of the body. Cutting down overall body fat, can help achieve a healthy weight loss goal.
9.1) Lose face fat
9.1.1) Need for face fat loss
Face is the most visible and conspicuous part of human body which no one can hide or change.
By simply observing the face, one can easily recognize and identify a person/ read one’s mind /assess and evaluate beauty, smartness, impression and more importantly, faith and reliability.
When 2 parsons meet/ greet/ speak, they at first look at each other’s face.
The facial skeleton forms the foundation/ size/ shape of the face and supports the overlying face tissues. The muscle layers living in the face are used for different expressions (such as smiling/ weeping/ happiness/sorrow/suspicion /pout/ smirk). The facial fat that fill up the overlying envelope of the skin, lie above the facial muscles.
The facial fats and the muscles are the key for the face to look young/ smart/ impressive (and conversely, look old/ guilty/ tout etc).
For people having overweight and obesity, they can lose body weight by starting from the face.
Usually, excess body fat disappears first from the face.
Several research studies reveal the fact that (compared to males) females mostly come to the doctor with complain of chubby face (overloaded with extra fat) as the females are more beauty conscious. Veritably, a fatty/ flabby face is the least desired (as compared to other parts of the body loaded with excess fat).
9.1.2) Causes of face fat
Causes of excess face fat include: water retention/ food allergy.
9.1.3) Remedial measures
Measures to lose face fat include: taking healthy nutritious foods, fruits, drinks of right amount and at right time/ having a quality sleep without any interruption/ facial exercises (puff exercise/ smile exercise/ chin lift exercise/ lift pull exercise/ jaw release exercise/ towel on face exercise/ chewing exercise/close eyes exercise/face muscle exercise).
Conclusively, losing face fat (besides supporting weight loss goal), will gift additional bonus ( in terms of attractive facial appearance/ slim cheek/ cute and youthful look).
9.2) Lose arm fat
9.2.1) Need to lose arm fat
The arm lies between the shoulder joint and elbow point containing 4 muscles (biceps brachia / brachialis/ triceps brachia/ coracobrachialis).
The arm fat (or arm flabbiness) is the excess fat deposit in the upper arm.
When the arm is raised to point out something or somebody (the fatty/ flabby/ undulating mass beneath the arm is found jigging).
Excess arm fat dampens the overall body strength in general and muscular strength in particular.
From time immemorial a strong fatless arm has been considered as the most effective natural weapon for self defense (against the attack by insane humans or ferocious animals)
The need to shed arm fat arises from the indispensability of muscular strength during emergency (such as, to carry a serious patient/ fire victim / injured person to the hospital for emergency treatment).
9.2.2) Causes of arm fat
Reasons behind the development of arm fat are mostly the same (as those that cause excess fat in other areas of the body in particular and the whole body in general.
The important causes behind arm fat include:
Aging and sedentary life style (having the least interest in physical activity, but the irresistible temptation for consuming unhealthy foods and drinks outside)
9.2.3) Remedial measures to shed arm fat
- Healthy diet: Consuming fresh green vegetables / healthy fruits (having fewer calories, but more nutrients)/ small fish/ chicken breast (in stead of calorie dense red meat) will greatly help lose arm fat. It is also important to drink pure water (rather than unhealthy sugary beverages) to stay well hydrated.
- Physical activity: Among the physical exercises that are important to lose arm fat include:
Cardio-vascular exercise/ weight training exercise / body weight exercise (such as, push up/ pull up/ plank/ roll out/dip /jump squat/ mountain climbing/ bicycle crunch etc).
9.3) Lose buttock fat
9.3.1) why to lose buttock fat
As compared to males, females in general (having fatty and flabby buttocks) feel more hesitant and embarrassed to go out and move. Hence, losing fat from the buttock is an important and common fitness goal for everybody, particularly women.
There are 3 major muscles in the buttock (Gluteus maximus/ Gluteus minimus / Gluteus medius).
9.3.2) Causes of buttock fat
Causes of buttock fat are mostly the same (as those leading to fat in other parts of the body) that mainly include:
Aging/ unhealthy foods and drinks / lack of physical activity.
9.3.3) Remedial measures
- Running: Running is better than walking. That is an excellent exercise for full body weight loss (in addition to losing excess buttock fat).
Shedding overall body fat by running can also tone up the buttock muscles (that can add nice attractive shape to the body in general and buttock in particular). Running also benefits heart and lungs health.
According to a study in 2012, people of an average fitness (while crossing a distance of 1600 meters) burned 471.03 calories by running (as compared to only 372.54 calories burned by walking the same distance).
Conclusively, for the people unable to run (on account of aging or any health problem), it is essential at least to walk to burn a few calories (needed to lose excess fat whether lying in the buttock or any other part of the body). Because, if the best is not attainable, then it is better to accept the second best.
- Climbing stairs: Climbing the stairs (in stead of using elevators or escalators) significantly help to lose weight(particularly in the buttocks).
Recent studies reveal the fact that climbing stairs (at a speed 90 steps per minute / 2 minutes each time /5 times a day/ 5 days a week ) can give excellent result pertaining to losing buttock fat
- Climbing a rock: It is a full body exercise that burns a lot of calories. Rock climbing burns 2 times as many calories (as hiking or stair climbing burn)
- Hiking: Hiking provides benefits by burning considerable amount of calories. ( similar to stair climbing). It is an excellent workout to attain a slimmer buttock.
9.3.4) HIIT (High Intensity Internal Training)
The workout consists of a series of exercises (repeated at short bursts and completed at a high level of intensity).
Minimum 4 minutes HIIT can make the buttocks of desired shape/ size/ fitness.
As a part of HIIT, it is important to perform the following single move exercises targeting loss of buttock fat.
Each workout needs to continue for 30 seconds (with 10 seconds rest before starting the next workout)
- Squats: Squat consists of major parts of many exercise plans. It involves the ability to work on several muscles in the buttocks (in addition to working on the muscles of the leg as well as the abdomen).
- Lunges: (Standing with feet-hip distance apart and taking a large step forward): Lunges are another strength exercise (targeting the lower parts of the body including the buttocks). There are varieties of lunges (such as, sideways lunges/ forward lunges/ transverse lunges).
- One leg dead lift (Standing on one leg and stretching out the other behind): It is also a strength exercise (that works on the muscles of the lower body including the buttocks). Additionally, the workout improves the balance/strengthens the abdominal muscles and lower back.
- Side lying hip abduction (Lying on one side to support the head with arms or hands): The workout is very effective to strengthen gluteus medius muscle (lying in the buttocks).
- Lateral band walk (Straightening the hips and knees with a lateral band walk): The exercise works well on the gluteus medius muscle (lying in the buttocks). But before starting the exercise, it is useful to warm up the body (by running/jumping).
Conclusively, HIIT involves maximum effort for short period in one specific activity (After that it is followed by a longer period workout with a slower pace).
9.4) Lose belly fat
9.4.1) Need for belly fat loss
Belly is the last terminal (one will lose weight from).
Belly fat is so easy to get (but too hard to get rid of it).
And Belly or abdominal fat can be divided into 2 categories:
Fat buried deep into the abdomen is called visceral fat. And the fat that is located between the abdominal wall and the skin is called subcutaneous fat.
Visceral fat is located so close to the body vein in the abdomen that it carries fatty acids to the liver. Visceral fat can increase the amount of bad cholesterol LDL (i.e.’ Low Density Lipoprotein’. LDL is harmful for heart health. By physical exertion, the visceral fat growth in the body can be reduced)
9.4.2) Causes of belly fat
Causes of belly or abdominal fat are many as stated below.
- Major factors that trigger the belly fat to develop, include: Unhealthy and processed junk foods. The condition is farther aggravated by drinking alcohol and leading a sedentary life style.
- Aging is another great risk factor for belly to develop fat, Burning belly fat becomes harder as one gets older.
- Menopause as well as pre-menopause also affects belly fat when metabolism slows down. In consequence, fewer calories are burnt and weight gain occurs around the abdomen. Menopause Is the time in most women’s lives when menstrual period stops permanently. They are no longer able to bear children. It occurs between 49- 52 years of age.
- Another reason behind belly fat is hormonal change. Hormonal change is more common among the women during pregnancy/ puberty/ menstruation). In the absence of ovulation among women, deficiencies of progesterone create a relative surplus of estrogen (which triggers weight gain in terms of belly fat).
- Among other causes behind belly fat growth are: Sedentary job (that does not give opportunity to move around to increase heart rate)/ lack of physical activity /stress (it triggers the release of cortisol- a stress hormone that makes one feel hungry and gain weight)/ sleeplessness (it make one feel hungry and in addition makes one’s waistline expand).
9.4.3) Remedial measures to reduce belly fat
Belly fat losing diets such as, ginger/berries/legumes need to be included. At the same time, unhealthy fast foods and beverages outside need to be excluded from food menu.
More importantly, a high intensity physical workout is indispensable to reduce belly fat. In addition, a nice quality sleep free of stress and anxiety will greatly help to reduce belly fat.
10) Cognitive behavioral therapy for Lose weight
Some research studies reveal the fact that among the Americans, many are found to succeed in losing some weight. But the long term results are overwhelmingly poor.
Still after regular physical workout and healthy dietary habits followed at home, it has become social obligation for some people to attend invitation party only to invite health troubles (where the participants can hardly check the temptation of gulping down the flavored rich dishes/ junk foods/tasty desserts/ alcohol etc.).
In some cases people are found to overeat subconsciously and in addition, they never count what/ how much/ how long they are eating as they remain busy in gossiping with the near and dear ones in the dining table.
Additionally, In some societies consumption of expensive but unhealthy foods and drinks becomes a regular custom and a matter of perk and pride with the belief- whatever and whenever I get, I must eat.
A few of them who can prevent this sabotaging fashion and custom and modify and refine their ugly traditional practice, can greatly succeed in implementing their weight loss goal and improve behavioral skills to a significant extent.
11) Potential causes of inadvertent weight loss
There are a lot of causes behind weight decline- which are unwanted and some of them are based on medical grounds and some others are non- medical.
Often, combination of many medical and non-medical causes can result in continuous and inadvertent weight decline.
11.1) Adrenal insufficiency
It Is a condition in which the adrenal glands do not produce adequate amount of steroids hormones. If this occurs blood sugar level drops causing hypoglycemia linked to lose weight (in addition to low stress tolerance)
It causes weight decline. Because, cancer cells use up much of body’s energy, or they may release substance (which interrupts in the process the body applies to make energy from food).
11.4) Celiac disease
11.5) Changes in diet or appetite
11.6) COPD (Chronic Obstructive Palmonary disease)
It is a type of obstructive lung disease characterized by long term breathing problem in addition to poor air flow. The damaged lungs can burn 10 times more calories (than normal healthy lungs), even if one has a good appetite. This causes weight loss.
11.7) Crohn’s disease
Symptoms include nausea and abdominal pain. Because of the symptoms, a considerable number of foods can’t be taken. Additionally, loss of appetite occurs. This leads to lose weight.
Tension and lack of pleasure leads to poor eating habits ultimately causing weight loss.
11.9) Heart failure
It occurs when heart muscle does not pump blood. Patients with heart failure are commonly found to have unintentional weight loss.
People suffering from chronic diarrhea evacuate loose watery stool caused by bacterial infection. Weight loss, more importantly, loss of water weight occurs.
11.11) HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus)
The disease can cause lose weight because of the fact that HIV drugs can dull the appetite. The disease causes the food taste bad and repulsive making it harder for the body to absorb nutrients (A nutrient is a substance used by an organism to survive, grow and reproduce. The requirement for dietary nutrient intake applies to both plants and animals).
The disease is also known as overactive thyroid. It occurs when the thyroid gland produces too much of hormone thyroxin (Thyroid hormones are of 2 types: thyroxin is one of them. The other is triodothyronine) which accelerates body’s metabolism (it is a biological process that occurs within a living organism including man and animal. It allows us to grow, reproduce and repair damage) causing unintentional weight loss.
In order to treat obesity, sometimes overdose of medications (Oristat/ Lorcaserin) can cause weight loss.
11.14) Parkinson’s disease
Because of the disease, the reduced energy intake added with increased energy loss has been identified as prime cause of weight loss.
11.15) Peptic ulcer
Peptic ulcers are sores that develop in the lining of the stomach. One common cause of the disease is infection causing abdominal pain for which many feel reluctant to eat fully with pleasure and satisfaction. In consequence, many are found to skip meals leading to inevitable weight loss.
The patients with tuberculosis often suffer from severe lack of appetite (in addition to coughing and fever). In consequence, weight loss occurs.
11.17) Ulcerative colitis
Of the 2 expensive bad habits prevailing in the world, smoking is one of them (the other being alcohol). These 2 unhealthy bad habits have no social or religious recognition as they ruin health and invite early death. So far as the smoking is concerned, it increases metabolic rate in the body causing weight loss.
Calories gained from the consumption of alcohol are considered empty calories. The malnutrition resulting from alcohol addiction often triggers weight loss.
11.20) Ulcerative colitis
It is an inflammatory bowel disease that leads to loss of appetite and hence weight loss.
12) Key global information
- The global obesity epidemic continues to raise sky high as evident from the fact that about 30% of people worldwide are obese or overweight (according data of 2018).
- In USA, the adult obesity rate (in 2018) was found higher in case of adult women (35.5% among women were obese as compared to 32.2% among men who were found obese)
- The prevalence of obesity among the US adults significantly increased (over the period 2008- 2012).
- So far as the prevalence of ideal and healthy weight is concerned, Switzerland ranks the top position having average life expectancy 80.6 years (followed by Japan).
13) Popular questions and answers on lose weight
Since overweight and obesity is a global problem (including the developed nation like USA), so an attempt as been made to select and provide a few questions (with answers) which are most common and relevant pertaining to weight loss effort.
(Q= Question. A= Answer. Questions and answers are provided in direct narration)
Q.1) I am working out more than ever before, but still not losing weight.
A.1) You are eating more calories (than you are working)
Q.2) I hear that fruit has sugar. But how much of it should I eat.
A.2) Eat plenty, but don’t drink any.
Q.3) What is more important- the amount of calories or type of calories.
A.3) Put emphasis on quality over quantity.
Q.4) Is coffee good for health.
A.4) Daily maximum 2 cups (yes). More (no)
Q.5) Which one is better- whole wheat bread or white bread?
A.5) Whole wheat bread (100%)
Q.6) Which is better-soup or salad
A.6) Vegetable soup
Q.7) Is butter good for health.
A.7) Better is olive oil.
Q.8) Which is better- honey or sugar.
A.8) Honey is slightly better.
Q.9) What nut is the best for an ideal and healthy weight.
Q.10) Should I eat egg’s yolk.
A.10) Yes, it is where the nutrients live.
Q.11) Are all beans equally good.
A.11) Darker beans mean more nutritious.
Q.12) What drink is the best for lose weight.
A.12) Green tea.
14) Concluding remarks
- Muscle is thicker than fat and so, it occupies less space. The implication is that if one gains muscle, the scale weight may go up (even though the body is slimming down for fat loss, but for muscle gain over all weight may not decline).
- Like a magic stick, a quick instantaneous weight loss result cannot be expected by following wealth loss health rules. Weigh loss result to be effective, sustainable and long lasting (such that after initial weight loss, weight should not be regained afterwards)at least a month is needed to wait and see the result. So how much weight loss occurs (per day or per week) matters little. What matters most is that lose weight should be safe, lasting and sustainable. Over and above, how fast one will lose weight depends on age, gender (for instance, pregnancy complication in case of women), intensity of physical workout, stress and genetic factors.
15) Tips for lose weight
- W= WEIGHT (should be ideal and healthy)
- E= EXCESS (body weight is a great risk factor for many malignancies)
- I= INFANT (stage is the best time to prevent obesity in future)
- G= GAIN (in weight occurs when one eats more calories than burns)
- H=HEALTHY (foods and physical activity are essential for lose weight)
- T=TAKING (exercise under a trainer can avoid the risk of physical injury)
- L= LOSING (weight fast is need for severely obese people)
- O= OBESITY (is a global health problem)
- S=SOME (are born obese and some become obese later on)
- S=SAFE (weight loss is important for the obese pregnant women)